Hi All .....
Semolina/Rava/Suji is a purified form of wheat so very healthy for kids and adults. You can make so many things with rava like halwa, upma, rava dosa, rava idly etc etc....
For infants you can make porridge by adding boiled milk and sugar.
- 1 cup rava (suji)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 green chilies or to taste (slit into half)
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- few coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp channa dal (Bengal gram dal)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- few curry leaves
- Take a kadai and dry roast the rava till golden brown colour and gives out nice smell.
- Remove from heat and keep it aside. (you can store the extra rava in a air tight jar for future use too)
- Heat ghee in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and channa dal, cook till channa dal becomes golden brown (don't let the dal turn dark brown)
- When they start to crackle add curry leaves, onion, green chilies.
- Add salt and cook till the onions become transparent.
- Add peas and cook for another 2mins.
- Now add 2 cups of water, lemon juice and red chilly powder. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and cook till dal turns soft.
- Add rava and keep stirring for 2 mins.(Add rava slowly to avoid lumps).
- Mix well and cook till water dries up.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve hot.
Put hot upma in a bowl, press little and then invert on to the serving plate....serve hot with coconut chutney.
Sending this recipe to :