Chop Suey is an American dish which is invited by Chinese Immigrants, It can be made in both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian versions. Basically it is served with stir fried noodles.
In restaurants you will get 2 different varieties of Chop-Suey, One is the American one and the other one is Chinese. American will be in red gravy and Chinese one will be in white gravy........
I tried American one in red gravy with both boiled and crispy noodles.....
Hope you will enjoy my version of Chop-Suey..........
- 1 carrot (cut into round pieces)
- 1 large onion (cut into square pieces)
- 1 cup cabbage (cut into square pieces)
- 7-8 french beans (cut into 1″ pieces)
- 1 green, red and yellow bell peppers (cut into square pieces)
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp red chilly sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp of cornflour in 1/4 cup of water
- Boil water in a heavy bottomed pan. Add chopped carrot, cabbage and beans to the boiling water, cover it with the lid. Remove from the heat and keep the vegetables in hot water for 5-7 mins. Drain them and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a Non-stick kadhai, add oil. Now add onions, saute them on high flame for 2 mins.
- Add all the three bell peppers, saute for 5 mins.
- Add parboiled vegetables and saute for 3-4 mins. Remember, Don't over cook the vegetables, they will lose their crispiness.
- Add soy sauce, red chilly sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar, black pepper, salt and honey. Mix nicely.
- Add 2 cups of water, bring it to boil. Reduce flame and cook for another 3-4 mins.
- Add the corn flour mixture. Keep stirring continuously till the gravy becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and keep the gravy aside.
For Boiled Noodles: I used Ching's Secret noodles, Boil them as per the instructions given on the back side of the pack (Don't overcook them)
- Take boiled noodles, drain and dry them on the large tray.
- Sprinkle one tbsp of cornflour on the noodles.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadhai, Pour these noodles in the oil.
- After a while you will observe a nest formation of noodles.
- Cook noodles till they become golden brown in colour.
- Remove them on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the noodles.
- Place the boiled noodles on a plate. Sprinkle crispy noodles generously on the top of boiled noodles.
- Now spread the vegetable gravy on the top of the noodles.
- Enjoy Crispiness and softness of the noodles at the same time...............
Sending this recipe to: