Hi Friends ...
Sago or sabudana looks like pearls (don't think of using it as jewellery LOL),which is cooked in many forms like sabudana kheer, sabudana kichadi, sabudana vada etc...
Sabudana kichadi is very famous in Maharashtra and Gujarat. It is also called as VRAT KA KHANA.....In Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur, it is available as street food.
Sabudana is rich in carbohydrate but by adding peanuts, it will be rich in proteins too....So Sabudana kichadi is a complete energy giving food for adults and kids.
1 cup sabudana (sago)
1 boiled and chopped potato
1/2 cup roasted peanuts (roughly powdered)
salt to taste
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing
1-2 green chilies (finely chopped)
Few fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
5-6 fresh curry leaves
- Wash the sabudana till water looks clear, drain off the excess water and keep it for 6-8 hrs or over night.
- Next morning, you will see sabudana is translucent and double the size. Separate the sabudana, in case lumps are there.
- Heat oil in a non-stick, add cumin seeds and hing. Add the chopped green chilies and curry leaves and saute for a 3-4 secs.
- Now add potato, sabudana, peanuts and dry masalas. Mix well.
- Cook the kichadi on low flame for 8-10 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Sending this recipe to: