Rasam traditional South India recipe to be served as a soup. It can be also served along with the boiled rice.
I love it and can be made in any season.... Main ingredients are tamarind, tomatoes and lentils..but this time I made it only with tomatoes...(Lentil/Dal rasam I posted earlier)....
Addition of spices and garlic makes it more flavourful. So sharing one of my favourite recipe with you all ....
- 2 tomatoes
- Small size ball of tamarind
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chilies (broken)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seed
- A pinch of hing
- 2 cloves of garlic (mashed)
- Salt acc.to taste
- 2 tsp rasam powder (I used ready-made)
- Boil tomatoes with 3 cup of water. I cooked them in Pressure Cooker.(just 3 whistles)
- Once the pressure drops down, open the lid and mash the tomatoes lightly.
- Soak tamarind in warm water, mash it slightly and extract its juice. Discard the pulp.
- Now heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter add red chilies, garlic and hing.
- Add mashed tomatoes and tamarind pulp. Bring it to boil.
- Add salt and rasam powder. Cook on low flame till raw smell of tamarind goes.
- Remove from fire.....Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve hot.
Note: You can strain the tomatoes to get the clear juice without its skin.
Sending this recipe to: